Saturday 19 July 2008

Welcoming the Initiates

Every year around June and July in South Africa during school vacations is time for young men and women to go to circumsation school in this beautifull country of ours. Since the government has taken circumsation as one of the traditional rights of citizens, it's now managed by the Department of Education and Health. Now guys and dolls who are from there come with certificates not just like us in the good old days.

As I write this all over villages today people are celebrating the return of initiates from the bush even in my village

1 comment:

Viwe Tyibilika said...

Frans got to say, I enjoyed my time there. I remember some four or seven years agao; I even had a dream that there was opportunity for anyone to go back there. But when I did there were no certificates. I guess I'm also from old school. But good thing they've done though with regards to managing the process.